Creative BioMart Serum-free technology have a wide range of applications, including production of monoclonal antibodies, viral antigens, and recombinant proteins using a variety of mammalian and invertebrate cell lines. There are numerous advantages associated with the use of serum-free media formulations.
- No need for serum qualification
- Increased definition
- Increased lot-to-lot consistency
- Simplified purification and downstream processing
- Better control over the physiological condition of cultures
- Ability to optimize formulations for specific cell types
Serum-free technology must satisfy a number of nutritional and physical requirements of cells that are normally addressed by the presence of serum. Serum proteins, such as albumin, fibronectin, and fetuin serve a variety of functions that include adsorbing toxic compounds, providing protection against shear forces in bioreactors, creating a matrix for cellular attachment to surfaces, and acting as a carrier for lipids and other growth factors.